Mangaltar, Kabhre, R. Roshi, East Central Nepal
Built 1907, Nepal Military
Designed by Louis Harper (1868-1940)
Manufactured by Harpers Limited, Craiginches Ironworks, Aberdeen
Evidence that this is a Harper bridge: definite.
The bridge over the Roshi near Mangaltar was identified in the Trail Bridge Support Unit’s database as being built in 1907 which made it likely that it was a Harper bridge. Although without a plate, it is undeniably a Harper bridge of that period, with its lattice towers, arched deck, common anchorages and topped by four Louis Harper finials. It is of 130 feet span and width 4 feet. Like all the suspension bridges we saw, the wooden deck have been replaced by steel grid, fastened to the anchor cables, with hangers leading down to light steel cross members.
A local man, Kalu Tamang, advised us that there was an identical bridge over the Liku at Sanghutar.
Other bridges in Nepal