Trishuli Bazar (Bidor), Nawakot, Nepal

 

Location

            N 27°53’33.00”

            E 85°09’39.72”

Date 1900

Span 36.6m  (120 feet)

Width 1.2m (4 feet).

Designed by Louis Harper (1868-1940)

Manufactured by Harpers Limited, Craiginches Ironworks, Aberdeen

Built 1900, Nepal Military.      

Status:  Replaced by Road Bridge, 1972

 

Evidence that this was a Harper bridge: Definite

Tursoli under construction, Nepal004866.

Aberdeen Art Gallery & Museums Collections

The bridge here was the first ‘modern’ suspension bride in Nepal. By this was meant a bridge with towers or pylons. It was erected by the army in 1900 and around this date Harpers supplied 7 bridge kits for the army to site under Brigadier Kumar Nursingh Rana*. Others followed up until 1909. In this period Harpers were the sole providers of suspension bridges in Nepal.

*River, Railway and Ravine, 2015 D.R.Harper. p114.

ms004866Completed_edited_edited.jpg

Aberdeen Art Gallery & Museums Collections

Other bridges in Nepal

More bridges

Scotland

England

Wales

Ireland

India