Keswick, R.Greta, Cumbria

 

 

Location N 54°36’11.17”

                 W 3°08’11.34”

 

Span. 27.4m (90 feet)      

Width 12m (4 feet)

Built 1898, Removed 1979

 

Evidence that this was a Harper bridge: definite

Keswick%20jpg_edited.jpg

Aberdeen Art Gallery & Museums Collections

The bridge was commissioned by the Cockermouth, Keswick and Penrith Railway in order that people in the new houses on the left bank of the river could more easily access the railway station on the right bank. 

 

The bridges of Louis Harper at this time were even more arched than those of his father, and this view of the bridge shows this well. The bridge, which was 90 feet (27.43 m) in span and 4 feet (1.22 m) in width, was eventually decreed unsafe and closed in 1979, and was removed thereafter. The approaches and footings are still in place, including the stump of one of the pillars on which the Harpers Limited plate can be seen half covered by concrete.

Keswick-Greta 00386 jpg.jpg

Aberdeen Art Gallery & Museums Collections

More bridges