Crathorne, R. Leven, Yorkshire
Location N 54°28’07.23”
Span 1m (90 feet)
Width 1.2m (4 feet)
Built 1888, Destroyed by flood 1930
Evidence that this was a Harper bridge: Definite
The bridge at Crathorne was commissioned by Lionel Dugdale (1862–1941). It crosses the River Leven, which runs through the Crathorne Estate. The suspension bridge, which measured 4 feet (1.22 m) in width and 55 feet (16.76 m) in span, was designed by Louis Harper and built by Harpers Limited at the Albion works. It was basic in design. It had six pairs of cable tensioners in all, mounted most likely on timber masts. This elegant bridge was washed away in the great flood of July 1930. Since then, at least a couple of replacement bridges have been put in place, but have suffered similar fates as a result of the instability of the river banks.
Other bridges in England