Harpers were a family business local to the north east of Scotland who had been manufacturers of gates and fences from 1857, long before the first bridge appeared around 1870. They were well known and it is no surprise that the early bridges were built here for local landlords – eg Tanarmouth, Glentanar, Waterside of Aboyne, Birkhall, Monymusk, Burnhervie and Feugh Lodge.
Later, Harper bridges in Scotland continued to be commissioned by landowners – Craighall near Blairgowrie, Ravenscraig near Dundee – but also by public bodies such as Carronvale near Falkirk. In addition there were those where Louis Harper collaborated with James Abernethy & Co at Cambus o’ May, Aberdeenshire and Aberlour, Moray.
Bridges in Scotland